Sunday 24 April 2011

The Title of My Blog

I wanted to write a little somethin-somethin' about the title of my blog, “On est des milliards à vouloir faire tourner la roue dans l'autre sens!”. Quite a few people have asked me what it means... and why the “quotation marks”, so here goes!
To begin, they are lyrics from a song (Jeunesse du Monde) by the French (alter-globalization a.k.a. The Global Justice Movement) hip-hop artist, Keny Arkana. You can hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpoEQi06h-o&feature=related and check out her website at http://www.keny-arkana.com/divers/download.php .
The literal translation is something like “We are millions to want to make the wheel turn in the other direction.”
I chose this to be the title for a couple reasons...
-it's one of those lyrics (songs) that strikes a chord (actually, ALL of her songs strike a chord with me).
-when I feel that no one cares about how bad things are, or how far gone we are as a society, it serves as a reminder to me that there are millions of other people who are not self-seeking individuals and who are doing what they can within their means to try to make things better, not for themselves or their children, but for the larger collective that is humanity whether their focus is on changing habits, environments, or educating people.
So that's that.

1 comment: