Thursday 17 February 2011

Homemade Toothpaste



Natural toothpaste.
Why? you ask, well because fluoride is poison and Sodium lauryl sulfate is a diarrhetic (not that I eat toothpaste, but since it goes in my mouth I'm sure that I inevitably swallow some).

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda (Quoting Wikipedia "Sodium bicarbonate is also used as an ingredient in some mouthwashes. It works as a mechanical cleanser on the teeth and gums, neutralizes the production of acid in the mouth and also as an antiseptic to help prevent infections occurring.")
2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (for some of the benefits of coconut go http://a-h-z.com/coconut-oil-for-teeth/  or  http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html)
A touch of Stevia or Honey to sweeten your paste (this is for the benefit of your taste buds, if you can go without, then do.)
A touch of salt
25 drops of food grade peppermint oil (antiseptic properties and keeps you minty fresh)

Mix and try to enjoy!

I say "try" to enjoy because though it has a paste-like consistency, the baking soda makes it a bit gritty and is a bit rough on the gums. Or maybe I'm brushing too hard in attempt to make up for the lack of foaming bubbles, curse you Sodium lauryl sulfate!
If you absolutely need bubbles, find a recipe that includes glycerin.

I chose this recipe because I had all of the necessary ingredients. It did leave my teeth, gums, and mouth feeling fresh, but I think at best I can only give it a 3.75/5. Perhaps I'll tweak the ingredients in my next attempt.

p.s. To naturally remove stains, bite into a lemon and rub it on your teeth, rinse and spit.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I should revise this. Now that I've used this tooth paste for just over a week and a half, I have to admit that it doesn't irritate my gums at all. So, I was brushing too hard to make up for the lack of foaming-action. Learn from my mistake!

    ReplyDelete